Wednesday, November 25, 2020

2020 For You. Now, Maradona.

I never liked him after the Hand of God, I just couldn't bring myself to it, but for all his shenanigans there was no denial that he was a genius. Paradoxically, it wasn't his and Argentina's triumph at World Cup in Mexico in 1986, which made me call him then a genius. In 1986 Argentina had a wonderful team. It came later, in 1990 World Cup when he, Maradona, with the help of incredible, incomparable Sergio Goycochea in the frame and ever versatile and experienced Burruchaga took shitty, boring, uninspiring mediocre team Argentina could assemble for that World Cup to the freaking finals. It was a mind-numbingly mediocre team, which took the third place in the qualification group losing to Cameroon, tying Romania and winning USSR. Argentina met mighty Brazil in the knock out stage. Everyone thought Argentina was finished. Well, without Maradona it would have been. But Argentina had him and, as usual, he created a goal out of nothing leaving Caniggia with an easy task of putting a ball into the Brazilian net.

You look at this an can only say--Son of a Bitch, how does he do this. Yet, Maradona surely missed his penalty kick against Yugoslavia in a penalty shootout after the game in which Yugoslavs dominated, but then again, Argentina had Sergio Goycochea. Then were the hosts, Italy, ever dangerous Italy. Maradona again, made a goal and he didn't miss his penalty kick which took Argentina to finals. 

They lost there to Germany, on penalty kick by Brehme. I hated that Argentina team but I saw already then how massive a player Maradona was. The fact that this crap of a team made it to finals thanks to Maradona and Sergio--I never saw anything like this in my life. I remember my beloved Italy of 1982--but that was a Team, a dream-team, really, which resurrected themselves after the scandals to overcome greatest challenges of a time: Argentina, Brazil and West Germany. But here, it was one guy who literally pushed a POS of a team into finals. This was a true greatness. I surrendered and I said to myself that he is a SOB, but, God, how good is he. Don't give me this Messi crap, the guy is a midget on international arena where it only matters and where reputations are made. Maradona since 1986 WAS a team and he was busting his ass for the team. Maradona's titles list with a national teams is something Messi can only dream about

Yes, he was a drug junkie and he was eccentric, but so was George Best, an alcoholic. I guess this comes with a territory for geniuses. Maradona was a genius of the game, every fvcking single fan of football in the world will tell you this. Go to Naples, ask them what Maradona did and means for S.S.C. Napoli. Read about Maradona Era in Napoli where he is still revered as deity. He was only 60. Was Maradona better than Pele? Probably, Pele didn't play the game which was being played since mid-1970s with tightening defense and increasingly skillful and hard defenders--I am not sure that Pele would do well against the likes of Franko Baresi or Collovati. Maradona tried, he didn't like it. What can I say, what a fvcking year--it takes the best. RIP, SOB, you were the best. I am sad, really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment